14 Surprising Internet Trends Over a Decade…
Helping to Understand Why Certain Trends Have Evolved
We all use the internet as part of our marketing strategies. But maybe, going beyond ‘clicks’ and ‘pageviews’ and really understanding how people really use the internet is the key to generating sales.
One place to start, is having a look at how the internet has evolved in the last ten years and what trends have emerged. This graph shows changes from 2002 to 2012. When you get to the end: imagine what has happened within the last 2 years!
So what do these changes mean for your business?
We can see the obvious changes that will have a direct effect on the way people interact with your business website, and ultimately your business:
- Internet speeds have increased incredibly
- Page loading times are now down to an average of 6 seconds
- Facebook now has over 900 Million users and social media has taken the world by storm. Proving that internet users will always gravitate towards platforms that connect them to their peers.
But most importantly – here’s what you can learn from what has ‘stayed the same’:
- Blockbuster Video was hesitant to evolve their business with an online movie hire platform. They are now bankrupt.
- Borders refused to evolve and change and did not invest in an online bookstore. Also now bankrupt.
- Tower records – no digital music = Bankrupt.
The trend is pretty clear: “ REFUSAL TO ADAPT, RESULTED IN A FAILURE TO THRIVE”
This is a great statement. And one you can apply in business in general, not just in regards to online.
Remember the ‘Business Lifecycle’?
You must constantly be maintaining that ‘cycle’ of renewal, and ultimately ‘Growth’, otherwise the fate of your business is clear – A certain ‘failure to thrive’.
- Join our Kick-Ass Tradies Facebook Group, for access to trade business specific conversations, tips and resources, plus a like-minded community of tradies.
- Book a 15-minute Game Plan Call with Andy, owner of Dr. DRiP plumbing and co-founder of Lifestyle Tradie, to clarify your priorities and get clear action steps.