How customer testimonials build credibility
Customer testimonials catch your prospect’s attention and build a relationship of credibility and trust. Let’s face it, today’s consumers are skeptical. Can you blame them? When other people say good things about your products or services, your believability and credibility shoots skyward.
An extra bonus is that customers who provide a testimonial are more loyal. Once people have put their name and reputation on the line by publicly endorsing a product or service (or person), they’ll stand behind that decision even if they find out it’s a bad one.
Here are 8 things to request from your customer:
- Request a testimonial from your customer as soon as possible – preferably the day you complete the work or make the sale. It is at this point that they are at their ‘giddiest’. Consider having them quote and write a testimonial before you leave their home/work place.
- Be specific as possible. For instance, if you delivered your product the same day your customer purchased an item, tell your customer to include the time it arrived.
- Include your unique selling position (USP) in the testimonials. For instance, if your USP includes same day service or money-back guarantee, then ask for them to be mentioned if these were ‘selling points’ that made them call the business
- Talk about the issues the customer was having prior to contacting your business and then the solution provided. In addition to this, include the way they were feeling before and after having received the benefits of your product/service. Most likely readers will have felt the same way and will empathise with the emotion and hence will make them more interested in receiving the benefits of your product/service.
- State their credentials. This will make their testimonial even more persuasive because their comments will be perceived to come from a credible source. People tend to believe people in positions of perceived authority. For example, Sam Sergent, XXX business name, Sydney.
- Request a picture of the customer using your product or service. As a matter of fact, try to take the picture yourself so that you know you’ll get a good one. Take several and make sure they are showing the benefits of the product or service. Pictures double the effectiveness of your testimonial and bring the testimonials to life.
- Request permission to use the testimonial in your advertising, including their name in addition to city they live in. Addresses, even if it’s just a city name, increase the believability of the testimonial. It demonstrates that they are real people who live in the same community as your prospects.
- Thank them profusely and let them know that it’s testimonials like theirs that help your business grow. This will improve your rapport and solidify your relationship.
The honest word of a customer is one of the most powerful tools in helping you break down your prospects skepticism and hence build credibility. Credibility that will lead to an increase in conversion and hence more money in your pocket.
I would urge you to make a commitment today to start asking 100% of your customers for testimonials. Plan to obtain 10 customer testimonials in the next 2 months to use in your trade businesses marketing.
- Join our Kick-Ass Tradies Facebook Group, for access to trade business specific conversations, tips and resources, plus a like-minded community of tradies.
- Book a 15-minute Game Plan Call with Andy, owner of Dr. DRiP plumbing and co-founder of Lifestyle Tradie, to clarify your priorities and get clear action steps.